- Educational system
School system includes: elementary, secondary, high school and higher education.
By law, all children aged 6 years are mandatory to attend school for 9 years (4 years of elementary school and 5 years of secondary school). It’s free of charge for the students following curriculum of public schools. After middle school, the students continue their high school program in three years and then higher education (3-5 years depending on specific majors).
- Higher education
The higher education system in Portugal is divided into two main systems: university system and the system of polytechnics opened by the State or the private organization. The university system dates back to the 13th century, including public universities, public institutions, private universities and private institutions. The Polytechnic system dates back to the 1980s, formerly professional vocational schools in the nineteenth century. This system consists of general public Polytechnics, private Polytechnics, public and private polytechnic institutes…. In order to enter into university, the students candidates must take an entrance exam and pay tuition fees. Tuition fees depend on each major, school and educational area.
Some of Portugal’s top universities:
- University of Minho – Universidade do Minho
- University of Porto – Universidade do Porto
- Technical University of Lisboa – Universidade Técnica de Lisboa
- University of Coimbra – Universidade de Coimbra
- University of Lisboa – Universidade de Lisboa
- University of New Lisboa – Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- University of Aveiro – Universidade de Aveiro
- Catholic University of Portugal – Universidade Católica Portuguesa
- Polytechnic Institute of Porto – Instituto Politécnico do Porto
- Beira Interior University – Universidade da Beira Interior
- University of Évora – Universidade de Évora
- University of Algarve – Universidade do Algarve
- Polytechnic Institute of Viseu – Instituto Superior Politécnico de Viseu
– Polytechnic Institute of Bragança – Instituto Politécnico de Bragança
– Fernando Pessoa University – Universidade Fernando Pessoa
In Portugal, the Master program is the following program of higher education, duration from 2 to 3 years depending on the school and major. In addition to allowing students to be trained more professionally, this is also the time for students to research science. The students in the process of learning must propose a science research project and after the end of the program, the students must make defense of their dissertation. The jury assesses their dissertation with 3-7 lecturers, Ph.D., judges and professors. The lectures during the master program are discussions and researches.
All students who wish to get scholarship can directly contact the universities of Portugal at website or search for scholarships at Camoẽs Institution: http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/
Camoẽs Institution: http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/