Some information about diplomatic relations between Vietnam – Portugal:
- Date of establishment of diplomatic relations: July 1st, 1975
- Agreements signed by two Parties:
- In August 1986, Vietnam signed an Air Transport Services Agreement with Macao (managed by Portugal).
- In February 1998, signed Air Transport Agreement with Portugal.
- Two Parties are in the process of exchanging draft documents for the negotiation of Agreements on Investment Encouragement and Protection, double taxation relief as a legal framework for the development of economic and trade cooperation relations.
- Milestones in bilateral relations
- Before 1974, the fascist dictatorship of Portugal actively supported US aggression policy in Vietnam, acknowledged the Saigon quisling regime in November 1955.
- After the Revolution, there was a change in the attitude to new government. On July 1st, 1975, Portugal established Diplomatic Relations with Vietnam. At present, the Embassy of Portugal in Bangkok cum Vietnam and our Embassy in Spain cum Portugal. Two Parties maintain normal political meetings through concurrent embassies and major international organizations.
- In February 1998, Deputy Prime Minister cum Foreign Minister Mr. Nguyen Manh Cam paid official visit to Portugal.